This easy Tator Tot Taco Casserole is the perfect weeknight meal for busy families. A hearty and spicy dish topped with crispy tator tots and cheese. Your family will love this meal!
Let’s face it, sometimes it’s hard to come up with meals to cook when the temperature outside is 100. The last thing you want to do is turn on the oven, unless it’s for this tator tot taco casserole. Seriously, it’s that good that turning on that oven for 30 minutes won’t even bother you. You probably even have most of the ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator.
I typically use tator tots but lately we’ve been buying tator rounds (or crowns, depending on the brand) and they work wonderfully in this recipe and others. I also use homemade taco seasoning, but a package of your favorite taco seasoning mix works great, too. Want it a bit spicier? You can diced a jalapeno and throw it in with the onion when browning the ground beef.
Easy Tator Tot Taco Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef ground turkey works good, too
- 1 small onion diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 -3 tbsp homemade taco seasoning or one pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 12 oz package frozen corn
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese divided
- 1 30 oz package frozen tater rounds or tots
- 1 10 oz red enchilada sauce
- Your favorite taco toppings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef; when the beef is nearly done add the onion. Cook the onion till soft and the beef is cooked through. Add the garlic and let cook for about one minute. Drain any fat from skillet.
- Add the can of green chiles, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, and 2 cups of the cheese.
- Stir together to combine then pour mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange tater rounds or tots on top of the mixture in a single layer.
- Pour the enchilada sauce on top of the casserole, covering all of the tator rounds or tots.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until the top is nice and crispy.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top and place back in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove from oven and serve.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings.