Strawberries alone are great. Combined with cake and whipped cream, even better than great. This drink has all of that and a bit of vodka to zip things up a bit, adult beverage style. Dessert in liquid refreshment form! The strawberries are simmered a few minutes in a sugar syrup and then blended with ice and cake vodka for a delicious frozen drink. Top it off with homemade whipped cream or use your favorite all-ready made from the store.I whipped a pitcher up in no time flat with my new Ninja Blender. Oh so good but I wonder if it’s less calories if we’re drinking our desserts! Has to be, right?! No matter, I’m having one….or a few while watching the 49er’s game. Life is good!
For the Strawberry puree:
- 16 ounces frozen whole strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Frozen Strawberry Shortcake Martini:
- 2 cups ice
- 10 ounces cake flavored vodka
- All of the strawberry puree
- fresh whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- To make the Strawberry Puree: Place the frozen strawberries, sugar and water in a large enough saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes until sugar is dissolved and fruit is softened.
- Allow to cool and blend until smooth. If there are any seeds left, strain through a fine mesh strainer. If you prefer a more chilled puree, as I did, place in refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes.
- To make the Frozen Strawberry Shortcake Martini: Place ice in blender, then the puree and the vodka. Blend until it's the consistency you want. Pour into glasses and garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a sliced strawberry, if desired.