Bruschetta is a perfect way to capture the summer flavors of garden ripened tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, and olive oil spooned over lightly toasted slices of Italian bread!
I could eat this perfect blend of foods all day, every day and not tire of it. If we’re being honest, I don’t even need the bread, just a spoon. I love getting Bruschetta as an appetizer when we go to dinner but the problem with that is I fill up on it and never have room for my meal. I’ve been known to just order the Bruschetta for my meal – problem solved.
Tomatoes are abundant right about now so this is a perfect way to use them up not to mention that tomatoes are so very good for you. Fresh basil, garlic, and onion are the other star ingredients in this dish.
This recipe for Garden Fresh Bruschetta is super simple to and delicious. You can use the darker Balsamic vinegar if you prefer. I change between both of them – which ever I have on hand. If you prefer to, drizzle some of the Balsamic over the top of the tomatoes once you pile it high on to the toasted bread slices. Or, just grab a spoon and got for it…I sure won’t judge you.
Garden Fresh Bruschetta
- 6-8 Roma tomatoes diced small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup red onion diced small (white is good also)
- 1.4 cup fresh basil julienned
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus more for brushing on the bread
- 2 tbsp White balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt*
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh sliced Italian bread
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil in a large bowl.
- Add the salt, pepper, olive oil, and vinegar.
- Stir gently until everything is combined.
- Taste to see if you need more salt or pepper.
- Let it sit for a bit before serving. I usually let it sit while the oven broiler is preheating and while the bread is toasting.
- When ready oven is ready, arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and brush them generously with olive oil.
- Toast under the broiler for a just a minute or two. Keep an eye on the bread slices, it won’t take long. Flip over to toast the other side for a minute or two.
- Spoon the tomato mixture onto the toast and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply