Enjoy the tropical flavors of a Pina Colada in a delicious and easy to make dessert taco. Piña Colada Tacos are filled with caramelized pineapples in a coconut sauce that are perfect for your dessert tables and summer BBQs.
If you’re looking for a last minute dessert to make for a summer BBQ or dessert tray, these Piña Colada Tacos will wow your guests and they taste amazing. These sweet tacos are simple to make and while they do call for a couple of ingredients you may not have in your pantry, they are easily found at the grocery store.
Summertime calls for tropical flavors, such as these Piña Colada Tacos, and other yummy recipes from #OurFamilyTable group of food bloggers. Check out more tropical flavored recipes below this one.
How to Make Piña Colada Tacos
Not all recipes with soft taco shells need to be savory. Making a sweet mini taco with them is easy to do. I used a 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut rounds out from the flour tortilla shells. Side note: the scraps can be used to make cinnamon sugar chips to snack on.
The next step is to combine the melted coconut oil, cinnamon, and sugar in a bowl.
Then toss the tortilla rounds in the mixture to coat.
Once that is done, you will use the back side of a muffin tin to form the mini taco shells. Then bake them for a few minutes.
Allow them to cool completely before removing from the muffin tin. Side note: these mini sweet shells can be filled with many sweet fillings like apple pie filling, ice cream, and more.
To make the pineapple filling, I used 4 cups of canned pineapple tidbits that I drained. I also used cream of coconut to make a bit of a saucey glaze. You can use fresh pineapple but the cooking time will increase to ensure the pineapple is tender enough. Saute the pineapple in a little bit of coconut oil until the fruit is caramelizing, then add the cream of coconut and heat through. Allow pineapple to cool completely before filling the mini taco shells.
Fill the mini shells with the pineapple mixture, top with toasted coconut, and a maraschino cherry.
Piña Colada Tacos
For the cinnamon sugar shells:
- 5 large flour tortilla shells
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the Pineapple filling:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cups canned pineapple tidbits (2 cans, measured) OR you can use 4 cups fresh pineapple cut up
- 6 tbsp cream of coconut
- maraschino cherries, for garnish
- toasted coconut, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray the bottom of two 12-cup muffins tins with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the melted coconut oil, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Using a 3-inch biscuit or round cookie cutter, cut rounds out from the flour tortilla shells. Toss the rounds in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat.
- Place all the mini taco shells between the crevices of the upside-down muffin tin and bake the shells in the oven for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from muffin tin.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high and melt the one tablespoon of coconut oil. Add the pineapple and saute until the fruit starts to caramelize and browns a bit.
- Add the cream of coconut and stir into pineapple, heat a minute and remove from heat. Be sure not to add too much cream of coconut. You don't want it to be too saucey - it will make the shells soggy then.
- Once the shells and pineapple have cooled, fill the shells with the fruit filling. Top with toasted coconut and a cherry!
- Coconut Cake by Family Around the Table
- Grilled Pork Chops with Pineapple Salsa by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Hawaiian Chicken by Making Miracles
- Mango Chile Margarita by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mango Margarita by Art of Natural Living
- Pina Colada Tacos by Blogghetti
- Pineapple Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Icing by That Recipe
- Pineapple Lemonade by Palatable Pastime
- Sourdough Hummingbird Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you’re at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
I love everything about this, from the mini taco shells baked on the back of the muffin tin (genius!) to the caramelized pineapple and coconut filling (yummmmm!). I have been wanting to see the recipe since you shared the sneak peek.
That back of the muffin tin trick is so great! I’ve never seen that and I totally need to try it!!
Ok how fun are these? Such a great idea to use the back side of a muffin tin! I can’t wait to make these, perfect bite sized dessert!
Clearissa Coward says
These are so cute and they look really yummy. They would be so cute on a buffet table. TFS I love these.
Ellen Folkman says
I love the idea of using the shells with other fillings! But the pineapple filling would be so good over ice cream too.
Inger @ Art of Natural Liivng says
Dessert tacos–yum! Love pina coladas, so …
My whole family has a sweet tooth so I’m always looking for simple delicious recipes and this one did not disappoint! It really was so easy to make and was so delicious. Thanks for this, its a keeper!
I’m so glad you like them! We love them! You may like the apple pie tacos, too.