Pumpkin Spice Glazed Donuts from a simple boxed cake mix will make your family think you made them from scratch. The donuts are topped with a streusel and then drizzled with a maple glaze.
I am not a sweets person but there are two sweet treats that if they enter my house, I am a goner. I’ll just eat them till there is not even a crumb left and won’t even blink twice. Hostess Ho Ho’s (Little Debbie’s Swiss Rolls will do the trick too) and fresh out-of-the-oven Krispy Kreme Donuts. You know what I am talking about…just nod and agree. That being said, we rarely have either in our house for that reason. If my husband brings donuts home, I will try to just eat one and then tell him, “eat the rest!”
Because I don’t want those sweet treats in my house, I bought a donut pan. Yes, I know. In my defense, I have never made a donut and I was baking them so it’s all good, right?! Ha! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! I am also a huge pumpkin spice fan so it only made sense to bake a Pumpkin Spice Glazed Donut!
Keep in mind, we are still doing the Paleo eating (it’s going so good) so having DONUTS in the house wasn’t going to be pretty. We decided we would each have one and then my husband would take the rest into work. Works for me!
These Pumpkin Spice Glazed Donuts are so scrumptous and moist that I really, really wanted two! The donuts have a streusel topping made with yummy ingredients like pumpkin pie spice and oatmeal. But wait. That’s not all. After they are baked, the donuts are drizzled with a sweet maple glaze. Irresistible.
I was able to give these hand-crafted stoneware mixing bowls a test run with this recipe. No need for an electric mixer for this one. If you would like to see where I got these beautiful bowls, check out this review.
These bowls just make me smile!
Use a plastic resealable bag!
Spoon the batter into the bag and then cut a small piece off of the end to pipe the batter in the pan.
I love this donut baking pan from Wilton.
Oh Man! I just may need to make these Pumpkin Spice Glazed Donuts AGAIN!
Pumpkin Spice Glazed Donuts
For the Donuts:
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp melted butter
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp oatmeal
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk I used 1% milk but almond milk is great in this too
- ½ - 1 tsp maple extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray donut pans with non-stick spray.
- Combine the streusel topping ingredients in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter, or two knives, or clean hands, cut the butter into the mixture until you have pea-size crumbs; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs and melted butter and mix until combined.
- Spoon the batter into a resealable plastic bag and then cut a small piece off of the end to pipe the batter in the prepared pan. If necessary, use a butter knife to spread the donut batter out smoothly.
- Sprinkle about one tablespoon of the streusel mixture onto the top of each donut batter. Press the topping very lightly into the batter.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the donuts comes out clean. Let the donuts cool about 5 – 6 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Allow donuts to cool before glazing.
- Combine the glaze ingredients together. Start with the minimum amounts of the milk and maple extract. Taste to see if you need more maple extract. If the glaze isn’t the consistency you want to it to be to drizzle over the donuts, add a bit more milk.
- Drizzle glaze over donuts and enjoy!
- Recipe inspired and adapted from Walking on Sunshine.
These pumpkin spice glazed donuts look sooo good. We love everything pumpkin and we love donuts so this is the perfect combination. Thank you for the recipe. Thank you too for hosting the party each week.
Thank you Amy for the sweet comment and for coming to the party! The doughnuts are super yummy, hope you come back to let me know how they were for you.