How often do you make lasagna? I tend to make it about once or twice a year. I should make it more often but sometimes the prep time is more than I am willing to commit to. Then there’s the whole business of how many calories and fat are in the rich, cheesy pasta meal. I love lasagna made with ricotta, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses and they way I was brought up to make it, it was loaded with these cheeses. On occasion, my Dad would make the pasta dish with cottage cheese in place of the ricotta. This had nothing to do with saving calories. It was a test to see if my Mom could tell the difference between the two cheeses when it was in lasagna. She never could.
Recently, Red Gold Tomatoes was kind enough to send me an entire lasagna kit – including a coupon for the ground beef which just happened to be from the only brand of ground beef I will buy, Laura’s Lean Beef. Was I excited? Oh, you bet I was! Also included was a recipe card and one of the recipes was for Skinny Lasagna, which they suggested to try with my kit. I decided that it was time to make this cheesy meal again but with way less calories and fat. Would my family go for it? We were about to see. The changes I made in the recipe was that I cooked the noodles prior to assembling the lasagna. Totally not necessary but I am old school with the noodles. I also let the sauce simmer while the noodles were cooking and I used mozzarella cheese on the top of the layers along with the Parmesan cheese. This girl isn’t ready to give up all of the cheeses just yet.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 28 ounce can Red Gold® Crushed Tomatoes, or 2 (15 ounce) cans Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pound Laura's 96% Lean Ground Round or ground turkey, cooked and drained
- 1 16 ounce box traditional whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 15 ounce carton low fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded low fat mozzarella cheese plus 1 cup for top layer
- 1/2 cup grated low sodium Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles according to package directions for al dente.
- In large saucepan combine water, crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes, black pepper, Italian seasoning and ground round, stir to combine ingredients in the sauce.
- Let simmer for about 30 minutes. I let it simmer until my noodles are finished cooking.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13x2 inch baking pan with 1½ cups of sauce mixture.
- Arrange 1/3 of noodles on top of sauce, slightly overlapped.
- Top with ½ of cottage cheese, ½ of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of sauce.
- Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and the additional 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 45 - 1 hour; until it's bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Uncover and cook additional 10 - 15 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Disclaimer: I am not receiving compensation for this post from Red Gold for my opinions on their products. The opinions here are my own.