These festive sugar plum thumbprint cookies are the perfect cookie to leave out for Santa. Sweet butter cookies topped with a dollop of frosting and gumdrops and a dusting of powdered sugar will also be the highlight of your holiday cookie trays.
Finally getting to post my last Christmas cookie recipe for 2019. I just love this cookie. It’s a sweet butter cookie that has been taken over the top with a dollop of cream cheese frosting and a gumdrop; then dusted with powdered sugar.
It’s been a few years since I have made these cookies and I have to say, I’ve missed them! I’m a big fan of easy cookie recipes and this one is just that. Just a handful of ingredients go into the cookie dough.
While Sugar Plum Thumbprint Cookies do not have plums in them, they are sweet and delicious. I love the name as it remind me of the Christmas poem, Twas the Night Before Christmas.
Santa would love to nibble on a plate of these cookies, especially on a plate made just for him. Don’t you just love this “Cookies made specially for Santa” plate? I know I do – and it’s a wonderful gift my my BFF!
Tips to Make Sugar Plum Thumbprint Cookies:
I’ve mentioned that this recipe just has a few ingredients, so that makes the mixing of the batter super easy. You do have to chill the dough for about 30 minutes.
Roll the dough into about 3/4 -inch balls and then use your thumb or the back of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon to make an indentation in the dough balls.
Bake and allow to cool completely before adding the frosting and gumdrops. I like to use a pastry bag to add the dollop of frosting to each cookie. Less messy than just using a spoon. If you don’t have a pastry bag, use a resealable plastic bag, fill with frosting, and snip a little piece of corner off and fill the cookies that way.
Sugar Plum Thumbprint cookies are great for cookie trays and gift-giving
Sugar Plum Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup POWDERED sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 container of cream cheese frosting
- red, green, and white candy gumdrops
- extra powdered sugar to dust the tops of cookies
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter at medium speed until creamy. An electric hand mixer can be used as well.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until incorporated and creamy.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter. Mix until combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Roll dough into about 3/4-inch balls, and on prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly press thumb in center of each cookie to make an indention. You can also use the back of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon.
- Bake at for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on edges. Remove cookies from baking sheet and cool completely on wire racks.
- Using a pastry bag, add a dollop of the cream cheese frosting into cookie indentations and top each cookie with a gumdrop. Dust with powdered sugar.
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!