Finally it’s beginning to feel like Autumn here! It’s like a holiday for us when the temperatures reach the mid 80’s and not the high 90’s – it’s the sign that Autumn is coming. Because it is cooler, I can use my oven more without the AC coming on every five minutes.
For this special occasion (today’s high is going to be 83 degrees), I decided to make this simple and delicious Pumpkin Banana Bread. It combines my two favorite sweet breads with a spiced glazed that deepens the flavors of the bread. The bread is so moist from the pumpkin and bananas and the spices remind me that I need to make my Family Favorite Pumpkin Pie now. Go with the thinking pattern there, it’s worth it. All things pumpkin rule right now.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 3 to 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1½ to 2 tablespoons almond milk (or plain milk)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease (or spray) your (8x4 or 9x5) loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk your dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves)until combined. Set aside.
- Using your stand mixer (or hand mixer), combine the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition and scraping the bowl as needed.
- Add the pumpkin and vanilla and mix well. Add the mashed banana and blend well.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients over low speed until well combined.
- Add in the walnutaand mix well by hand.
- Pour the mixture evenly into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before removing from loaf pan.
- Cool bread completely before adding the spiced glaze.
- Combine all ingredients for the spiced glaze and mix well. You want it thick enough yet pourable. Drizzle over cooled bread. Let harden a few minutes before slicing and enjoying.
Pin this image!