This perfect banana bread recipe makes a moist, tender, banana bread every time. The recipe is so easy and it’s our family’s favorite banana bread recipe.
Over the years, I have searched for a banana bread recipe that was perfect. Recipe after recipe I have tried with only a few that we liked but not loved. They say the best recipes are those that happen by accident, and this is just that. I was attempting to just “wing it” with making the quick bread. I knew from past recipes that I wanted the banana bread to be moist and really have that banana taste.
Some cake recipes call for sour cream in them to help keep the cake moist, so I figured that would be great in this banana bread. It was a game changer, and when I bumped up the bananas and the vanilla I knew this would be so good. I just had a feeling it would be.
The real test was when my husband tasted it and kept eating it – the whole loaf was nearly gone! I tasted it and it was amazing. I made another loaf to be sure it wasn’t a fluke – no fluke at all. Bonus, (if the loaf isn’t devoured in one day) the loaf of banana bread stays moist for days.
It is a small piece of heaven. It is my most requested baked good from family and friends when asked to make something for an event or because they are craving the bread.
I’ve used this recipe to make mini loafs for gift giving at the holidays. You can purchase ceramic mini loaf pans or use the aluminum ones. I found these mini loaf pans at Michael’s after Christmas on clearance. I baked the loaves right in them and then after the banana bread was cooled, I wrapped them up in festive cellophane bags.
Perfect Banana Bread
This perfect banana bread recipe makes a moist, tender, banana bread every time. The recipe is so easy and it's our family's favorite banana bread recipe.Print Pin Rate
- 3 large very ripe bananas plus 1/2 of one banana
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream or light sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts - optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and put a rack on the middle shelf. Butter and flour a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, leaving a bit of texture to them.Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, use a hand electric mixer or stand mixer to cream the 1/2 cup of butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla and beat until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and gently stir in pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
shannon putnam says
This is one of the best banana bread recipes I’ve tried. It stays moist. I wrapped in plastic wrap and was just as good a few days later as it was the first day. I added a tsp of banana flavoring to mine just for an xtra boost. The sour cream makes a huge difference.
Lisa @ Blogghetti says
Thanks Shannon…we love it. In fact, I just made a loaf this morning and it’s half gone! I’ll have to try the banana flavoring…good tip!
Erin Vasicek says
This truly does look like the perfect banana bread!
You can never go wrong with a good banana bread.
We eat bananas constantly because of our toddler and I make banana bread a lot. I’m always looking for new versions!
Clearissa Coward says
I am definitely going to try this one. It looks amazing and it’s not that hard to make. My husband is about to be a very happy man. TFS.
Julie @ Back To My Southern Roots says
I love banana bread and this recipe looks so moist! I love that it’s made with sour cream. Yum!
Well now I need to run to the kitchen and whip up a loaf of banana bread so I can have some for breakfast. This looks so good!
The perfect banana bread is pretty much a life changing accomplishment!
Leanne | Crumb Top Baking says
This banana bread looks like it bakes up perfectly! Love the golden brown top, and the texture of those cut slices looks delicious!
This does look moist and delicious. I love that there is sour cream in your recipe. Wish I had a slice right now with my afternoon tea.
pest control says
Thanks for this yummy recipe! I did 1/2 cup of sugar and it was perfect sweetness for me!
I’ve been decreasing the sugar each time I make it! 1/2 cup seems perfect for me, but the rest of my family tells me, nooo lol. Glad you enjoyed it!