Slow Cooker Chicken pot pie soup will quickly become a family favorite; especially when topped with Parmesan Cheese Pie Crust Wedges!
I love chicken pot pie but sometimes I really just want creamy chicken soup. This is definitely the recipe to get all the vegetables, chicken, and flavors of traditional chicken pot pie. So much creamy goodness. You won’t even miss the double crust most pot pies have.
Using the slow cooker makes this recipe a time saver and it’s super easy prep. If you can chop a few vegetables, dice some chicken, and pour in the ingredients for the creamy broth, then you can make this recipe.
To those of you who must have “pie crust” with your pot pies, I’ve got you covered! Parmesan Cheese Pie Crust Wedges. Say no more. The wedges are a cinch to make with refrigerated pie crust. There’s another time saver tip!
Tips to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup:
I really mentioned most of the tips above but I do have a few more for you.
You can replace the frozen pearl onions with roughly chopped yellow or white onion. I love using the pearl onions because they have so much flavor and are just too cute. Plus – there are no tears shed using them!
I like using the baby (petite) red potatoes with this recipe because they hold up better. They don’t seem to get too mushy.
Feel free to thicken the broth to your consistency with a little more cream or a slurry mixture of cold chicken broth (or water) and cornstarch. If using cornstarch, be sure your liquid is COLD. I would use a ratio of 1 cup COLD liquid to 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Whisk it together and pour into slow cooker, stir, and let it cook until thickened.
When making the Parmesan cheese pie crust wedges, allow your pie crust to come to room temperature before baking. If you aren’t a Parmesan fan, use the cheese of your choice.
A bowl of this Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup is a perfect way to warm up this winter.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Parmesan Cheese Pie Crust Wedges
For the soup:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 - 8 small baby red potatoes, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, sliced into 1/2 - inch pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 - inch coins
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Parmesan Cheese Pie Crust Wedges:
- 1 refrigerator pie crust, room temperature
- 2-3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- ground pepper
To make the soup:
- Place in your crock pot the chicken and all of the vegetables EXCEPT the peas. Add the garlic and 3 cups of the chicken stock.
- In a small bowl, combine and whisk the remaining one cup of chicken stock with the flour until smooth. Pour into crock pot. Add the thyme, salt and pepper and give it all good stir.
- over and cook for about 4 hours on low. At this point, the potatoes and carrots should be just about done. If not, give them another 30 minutes. When they are just about done, add the
frozen peas and heavy cream. Cook an additional 30 - 45 minutes until vegetables are done and soup has thickened a bit.
To Make the Parmesan Cheese Pie Crust Wedges:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper ( I use a pizza pan). Unroll pie crust onto sheet pan. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the crust and a bit of pepper. Bake in oven for 10 - 12 minutes, until golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve warm with the soup.
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
*Recipe originally posted 11/14 and is now updated with new pictures (12/28/19)