I have been baking this banana bread like crazy the last few weeks and just when I think we’ve had hit out limit of bananas, I found myself with 3 very ripe bananas. I sure didn’t want to throw them out so it dawned on me to make this yummy snack cake. I called it a snack cake as it is baked in an 8 inch pan – that’s a small cake! Small as in “it will be gone the same day it is baked”. So…it’s a snack cake for the family while we enjoy watching our favorite TV shows.
Give this Double Chocolate and Bananas Cake a try. You’ll find that is super moist and because it contains no oil or butter, it is a bit healthier to eat. The applesauce is what makes the cake moister and a bit healthier and if you use dark chocolate chips (dark chocolate has the “good” benefits) well, you’ve now made this baked good a little better for you. I’m going to be honest here; when I mentioned to my husband I was going to make a cake with both chocolate and bananas, he questioned my sanity. Let’s just say, he was a non-believer of the two together YET he has chocolate syrup on banana splits and at times crumbles a brownie in his ice cream then tops it with a banana. But somehow me combining the two into a cake wasn’t a good idea to him. Ye of little faith, I say! One bite and he loved it! Ha!
Double the Chocolate and Banana Cake
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Handful of mini chocolate chips for topping totally optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch square pan with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the mashed bananas and sugar into a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer or use an electric hand mixer and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the applesauce, vanilla and egg stirring to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter and combine.
- By hand, fold in the chocolate chips and pour cake batter into the prepared baking pan.
- If desired, sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes.