Italian Christmas Cookies are a delicious cake-like cookie with a hint of anise that will look fabulous on your holiday cookie trays.
I received complimentary product from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #ChristmasCookies Week recipes. All opinions are mine alone. #ad #sponsored
Day three of #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway. Follow the hashtag so you don’t miss a single one of them. There will also be a list at the end of the posts with links to that day’s recipes links.
I shared these White Chocolate Crinkle Cranberry Cookies on Monday and when I made them, they went super fast. I was even asked to make more immediately.
We are fortunate to have very generous sponsors, too. The sponsors sent us products to use in creating our cookie recipes and will also be providing a fabulous giveaway this week. Be sure to check out the products and enter the giveaway, too.
I’m sharing a recipe that I really wish I would have posted years ago. I first had these Italian Christmas Cookies when I was a child and fell in love with the flavor of anise. It was about the same time I learned how to make Italian Pizzelle Cookies with my Dad. Those are memories I cherish. The first time I made Italian Christmas Cookies was a few years ago and all the memories of that first time eating them came flooding back. The recipe I have was given to me by a family member and recently found, just in time for this week!
As with my first recipe this week, White Chocolate Cranberry Crinkle Cookies, I used what I think is the best vanilla ever from Adams Best. Sweets & Treats Boutique sent the Christmas sprinkles I used for these cookies. They have amazing and super cute sprinkles, sugars, and more for nearly all holidays.
Of course, the cookies were baked on a gorgeous baking sheet from Anolon which is nonstick and has silicone grips.
How to Make Italian Christmas Cookies
As I usually like to do with baking recipes, gather your dry ingredients and combine them first. Grab a medium bowl and whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 cup granulated white sugar. Beat until creamy and smooth. Add in the eggs, vanilla, and anise extract; mix well.
Slowly add in your dry ingredients and incorporate after each addition.
Place dough in refrigerator for about an hour. Then it’s time to preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into about one inch balls and place on a non-stick baking sheet. Press the dough balls down slightly and then bake for about 8-10 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for a couple of minutes before placing on wire rack to cool completely.
Once the cookies are cooled, prepare the glaze but whisking together the 2 cups powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.
Dip the cookies into the glaze and then place back on wire rack. Add sprinkles to each cookie and allow glaze to harden.
[socialrocket-tweet quote=”You’ll fall in love with these Italian Christmas Cookies ” tweet=”Italian Christmas Cookies are a delicious cake-like cookie with a hint of anise; perfect for holiday cookie trays. #cookies #anise #Italian #ChristmasCookies #recipe” style_id=”default”]
Italian Christmas Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon anise extract
For the Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Christmas sprinkles
- As I usually like to do with baking recipes, gather your dry ingredients and combine them first. Grab a medium bowl and whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 cup granulated white sugar. Beat until creamy and smooth. Add in the eggs, vanilla, and anise extract; mix well.
- Slowly add in your dry ingredients and incorporate after each addition.
- Place dough in refrigerator for about an hour.
- Then it's time to preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into about one inch balls and place on a non-stick baking sheet. Press the dough balls down slightly and then bake for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for a couple of minutes before placing on wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cooled, prepare the glaze but whisking together the 2 cups powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Dip the cookies into the glaze and then place back on wire rack. Add sprinkles to each cookie and allow glaze to harden.
“Blogghetti” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Other Christmas Cookie Recipes You May Enjoy
#ChristmasCookies Week Giveaway Details
Prize 1: Tower of Treats from Millican Pecan Company
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is an 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2: An Assortment of Flavored Extracts from Adams Extract and Spices
In January 2013, Adams, one of the oldest continuously operated companies in Texas and one of oldest spice and extract companies in the United States, celebrated its 125th birthday and was awarded the Texas Treasure Business Award, an award sponsored by State Bill 920 that recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years and pays tribute to the state’s well-established businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Today, Adams proudly manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, Adams Reserve®, Flavor King™, Pantry Basics™, Sear-n-Crust®, ClearVan™, Carniceria®, Cocina del Rey®, Naturals™, and Urban Canner™ along with the Adams Frozen Skillet Desserts and Adams Premium Ice Cream lines. In addition, Adams is proud to manufacture for some of the nations most respected Private Label Brands as well as other legacy Regional Seasoning Brands and is used to flavor many commercially produced food products around the nation.
Prize 3: A Set of Baking Pans from Anolon
Established in the 1950’s, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware. By 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware which revolutionized the world of home cooking. Their nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily.
Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior made with a special sapphire-reinforced blend that is triple coated. NOTE: Color may vary from the photo above.
Make Sweets & Treats your one-stop shop for all your holiday sprinkle needs. In addition to fun, festive and colorful sprinkles, Sweets & Treats offers cupcake liners, edible glitters, sugars, and more.
Founded in 2010 by Shannon Harvey out of an industry need for bold, bright cupcake liners and baking supplies that are the life of the party! Based in Louisiana, Sweets & Treats is a designer cupcake liner manufacturer and party supply company that creates exclusive greaseproof cupcake liners, sprinkles, sprinkle mixes, paper straws, and other baking supplies.
Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #ChristmasCookies bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway open to US Residents only who are 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry.
Enter to Win
Wednesday Christmas Cookie Recipes
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
- Almond Shortbread Bites by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Brown Sugar Ice Box Cookies by West Via Midwest
- Chocolate Dipped Cranberry Oatmeal Cookie by Lemon Blossoms
- Chocolate Pecan Cookie Crisps by Eat Move Make
- Christmas Checkerboard Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Christmas Chippity Chip Cookies by Daily Dish Recipes
- Christmas Tree Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- Cinnamon Snowball Cookies by Jersey Girl Cooks
- French Toast Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Frosty Ginger Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ginger Snap Cookies by Devour Dinner
- Holiday Coins by Family Around the Table
- Italian Christmas Cookies by Blogghetti
- Meringue Christmas Trees Two Ways by Art of Natural Living
- New York-Style Black & Whites by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Pecan Crescent Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Pepparkakor by That Recipe
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Crushed Oreo Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Reindeer Haystacks by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Soft Italian Wedding Cookies by Making Miracles
- Sweet Potato Pecan Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Turtle Cookies by An Affair from the Heart
- Vegan Italian Wine Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Whipped Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Zimstern – German Cinnamon Stars by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!