Serve up these Grilled Italian Sausages with Peppers and Onions sandwiches this summer and you’ll have a simple and delicious meal.
#BBQWeek is in full swing with so many delicious recipes to dish up this summer. This Grilled Italian Sausages with Peppers and Onions is my second recipe for the week and below it will be the list of everyone’s posts for today. Be sure to check them all out.
There are many recipes for grilling sausages with peppers and onions that have different seasonings and additional ingredients. We love the simplicity of this recipe and it reminds us of the grilled sausages from the fairs we’ve been to over the years.
Seeing that recipes using simple ingredients that you can easily get or use from your supplies are in high demand these days, this is an easy recipe to pull together and if you cook everything on the grill, you have very easy cleanup.
Tips to make grilled Italian sausages with peppers and onions
Preheat your grill to medium and while it’s preheating, prepare the peppers and onions. I like to use a disposable aluminum pan when grilling vegetables – it’s easy cleanup. Sometimes, I will wash the pans and reuse them, too. If you don’t have one, you can easily make one from aluminum foil or use an old baking sheet with a rim. Season the peppers and onions with salt and pepper and drizzle a bit of olive oil over them, toss.
Once they grill is ready, place the sausages on the grill and the pan with the peppers and onions.
Cook the sausages about 5-7 minutes per side, or until they are done (160 degrees internally). Toss the peppers and onions a few times while they are cooking. They are done with they are tender-crisp.
I use hoagie rolls for these sandwiches because there is more room for all of the vegetables, sausage, and any other toppings you may want. I also take a bit of the bread out of the inside of the roll, less bread more filling.
What to serve with grilled Italian sausages
Besides the peppers and onions, you can add condiments like mustard (spicy or not), shredded cheese, or pickle relish. As for a side dish, how about this creamy potato salad or this lightened up broccoli salad? Perhaps, you’d prefer some oven roasted potato wedges instead.
Grilled Italian Sausages with Peppers and Onions
- 1 pkg Italian Sausages (my pack had 5 links) *Brats are good to use as well
- 1 large onion, sliced into thick slices *white, yellow or red onions are good to use
- 2 large bell peppers, sliced into thick slices *whatever colors you choose to use
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Hoagie rolls
- Preheat your grill to medium and while it's preheating, prepare the peppers and onions. I like to use a disposable aluminum pan when grilling vegetables - it's easy cleanup. Sometimes, I will wash the pans and reuse them, too. If you don't have one, you can easily make one from aluminum foil or use an old baking sheet with a rim. Season the peppers and onions with salt and pepper and drizzle a bit of olive oil over them, toss.
- Once they grill is ready, place the sausages on the grill and the pan with the peppers and onions.
- Cook the sausages about 5-7 minutes per side, or until they are done (160 degrees internally). Toss the peppers and onions a few times while they are cooking. They are done with they are tender-crisp.
- Serve by adding sausages and vegetables to each hoagie roll.
Wednesday #BBQWeek Recipes
- DIY Hot Dog Onion Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Italian Sausages with Peppers and Onions by Blogghetti
- Jalapeno Popper Potato Salad by The Spiffy Cookie
- Poppy Seed Slaw by Our Good Life
- Smoked Ribs with KC Style Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Southwest Pasta Salad with Lime Vinaigrette by Making Miracles
- Southwestern Deviled Eggs by The Freshman Cook
- Sugar Cone Chocolate Chip Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Berry Spinach Pasta Salad by Sweet Beginnings
- Tortellini Pesto Salad by Our Crafty Mom
- Tri Color Potato Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
I love sausage and onions! It’s a quick dish I can prepare for weeknights. 🙂
Lisa @ Blogghetti says
Tina, it’s super quick and the best part, to me, is that whether you make it on the grill or the oven, it’s just as quick. Hope you enjoy it!!
I would probably do without the roll and just enjoy the sausage and veggies….yummy!!
Lisa @ Blogghetti says
We do that too. It’s just as good, too! Thanks for visiting!!!
Yum. I haven’t had grilled sausage since last summer now I’m craving it!
The Freshman Cook says
These look amazing! I remember the first time I had a Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Sandwich. It was in Las Vegas at the San Genaro Festival, about 35 years ago and I have been in love with them ever since. I am putting these on my grocery list today and I can’t wait to give them a try.
Christie Campbell says
Oh yeah! These are going on the grill this weekend! Perfect for Memorial Day!