This is another of those posts that did not transfer well when I made the switch from Blogger to WordPress. I can’t believe I haven’t updated this one sooner than this. It’s a super quick meal that can not only be eaten as soft tacos but a couple of other ways too. Our preference is as soft tacos but I’ve made them into steak burritos and even added some black beans and served it as a burrito bowl.
Sometimes the best recipes are ones from the back of boxes or cans. This is one of those. A few years back, while waiting for my minute rice to cook (it’s never a minute!) I was checking out the recipes on the box. I found a new favorite in our house! Be sure to check out my “picky kid” tip.
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak cut into thin strips (if meat is partially frozen, it will slice easier)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 pkg of taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 8 to 12 flour tortilla shells
- shredded cheese optional
- Heat oil in skillet. Add steak and cook till lightly browned.
- Stir in water, salsa*, and seasoning mix.
- Bring to a boil. This is where I tend to let it simmer for about 10 minutes so the flavors cook in.
- Stir in rice; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture onto warmed tortilla shells, top with shredded cheese, if desired.
- Recipe can be done with Chicken or ground beef and is just as good!
- * Picky kid tip: If your kids are like mine, they don't like "chunks" in their salsa. I blend the salsa and taco seasoning mix together in the blender and then use as called for in recipe.