This is another of those posts that did not transfer well when I made the switch from Blogger to WordPress. I can’t believe I haven’t updated this one sooner than this. It’s a super quick meal that can not only be eaten as soft tacos but a couple of other ways too. Our preference is as soft tacos but I’ve made them into steak burritos and even added some black beans and served it as a burrito bowl.
Sometimes the best recipes are ones from the back of boxes or cans. This is one of those. A few years back, while waiting for my minute rice to cook (it’s never a minute!) I was checking out the recipes on the box. I found a new favorite in our house! Be sure to check out my “picky kid” tip.
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak cut into thin strips (if meat is partially frozen, it will slice easier)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 pkg of taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 8 to 12 flour tortilla shells
- shredded cheese optional
- Heat oil in skillet. Add steak and cook till lightly browned.
- Stir in water, salsa*, and seasoning mix.
- Bring to a boil. This is where I tend to let it simmer for about 10 minutes so the flavors cook in.
- Stir in rice; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture onto warmed tortilla shells, top with shredded cheese, if desired.
- Recipe can be done with Chicken or ground beef and is just as good!
- * Picky kid tip: If your kids are like mine, they don't like "chunks" in their salsa. I blend the salsa and taco seasoning mix together in the blender and then use as called for in recipe.
“Blogghetti” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.