Don’t throw away those potato peels! Make these delicious Rosemary Roasted Potato Peelings with them. Serve as an appetizer or quick snack.
I think my family eats their weight in potatoes ever year. It’s truly one of their favorite foods. If you were to ask them, these Smashed Roasted Potatoes would be their top spud recipe to eat. I am a true mashed potato girl, which makes it super easy to make these Rosemary Roasted Potato Peelings. Save those peels in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator.
Rosemary Roasted Potato Peelings
Saving the potato skins is not only reducing food waste but they turn into a wonderful simple and delicious snack or appetizer. They come out of the oven crispy and golden brown. Think potato chips but healthier since the peels have the fiber and nutrients in them.
I placed the potato peels in a plastic container of water and kept them in the refrigerator with every intention on making this recipe the next day. However, as it happens with me, I forgot….for 4 days! I thought surely those peels would be brown and not good anymore. To my delight, they were perfect and good to use!
You want the peels to be dry so if you’ve stored them in cold water, drain and pat dry with a paper towel before roasting. Also, discard any green peelings since they can contain solanine, which is a toxin that is not usually an issue in potatoes, since potatoes simply don’t contain enough of it to bother most people.
- peelings from russet potatoes
- garlic powder
- fresh rosemary
- sea salt
- olive oil
How to Make Rosemary Roasted Potato Peelings
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. I usually line my sheet pan with parchment paper, but this particular time I forgot. Works either way!
Place the potato peelings on large baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over them and then sprinkle the garlic powder, rosemary, and salt over the skins. Toss to coat and spread out in a single layer.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes, or until crisp and golden, stirring them halfway through cooking time. Baking time will depending on how fast (or slow) your oven cooks. Sprinkle with more rosemary or chopped chives. Serve immediately.
Tips, Tricks. and FAQs
- I made these with russet potatoes but I am sure it would work with other types. Try red potatoes or Yukon Golds.
- It’s important to rinse and scrub the potatoes before roasting the skins.
- Soak peelings in cold water until ready to use; then drain, and pat dry. Be sure skins are dry before roasting.
- Toppings to try include grated Parmesan cheese, sliced green onions, shredded cheese, other fresh herbs, etc.
- Try other seasonings: ranch, buffalo, or taco.
- Great to make in the air fryer as well. Air fry at 400 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes
Other Easy Appetizers you will Enjoy:
- Herb Roasted Sunchokes
- Air Fryer Sausage Balls
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Puffs (make these and use the skins for this recipe)
- Everything Bagel Mini Pigs in a Blanket
Rosemary Roasted Potato Peelings
- Peelings form 3 – 4 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the potato peelings on large baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over them and then sprinkle the garlic powder, rosemary, and salt over the skins. Toss to coat and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until crisp and golden, stirring them halfway through cooking time. Sprinkle with more rosemary or chopped chives. Serve immediately.
It’s important to rinse and scrub the potatoes before roasting the skins.
Soak peelings in cold water until ready to use; then drain, and pat dry. Be sure skins are dry before roasting.
Toppings to try include grated Parmesan cheese, sliced green onions, shredded cheese, etc.
Try other seasonings: ranch, buffalo, or taco.
Great to make in the air fryer as well. Air fry at 400 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes
Perfect Potato Recipes
- Aloo/Potato Masala from Magical Ingredients
- Breakfast Totcho Kabobs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cheesy Pork Chop and Potato Casserole from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cheesy Potato Casserole from Hostess At Heart
- Hasselback Potatoes Air Fryer from Devour Dinner
- Heart Shaped Roasted Potatoes from Jen Around the World
- Herbed Potatoes in the Pressure Cooker from That Recipe
- Homemade Hash Browns from The Freshman Cook
- Japanese Potato Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Pan Fried Potato Slices from Art of Natural Living
- Roasted Cheddar Ranch Potatoes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Roasted Potato Peelings with Rosemary from Blogghetti
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you’re at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
Stay connected for the latest recipes
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #Blogghetti on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
Teri Schuler says
I can’t wait to try these. What a wonderful and clever idea! I am looking forward to trying your recipe. They will be a huge hit at my house!!
I want to go peel some potatoes just so I can make these.
This looks so tasty! I’d peel potatoes just for this!
What a great idea!! Thank you for sharing this. We are eating more plant base these days and what a perfect snack or appetizer.
It’s an easy snack to make!
Looks crisp and delicious! I love the idea of using the peels and no wastage of food. Love this delicious idea!
This is brilliant. I LOVE the extra crispy skin on baked potatoes. I would totally eat this whole plate.
What temp and time using the airfryer?? Ever try them with sweet potatoes?
Air fry at 400 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes. I:ve updated the post to reflect that.