Slow Cooker Cheesy Green Bean Casserole is the perfect holiday side dish and doesn’t take up valuable oven space. It’ll become a family favorite in no time.
It’s nearly time to start planning for the holidays and that includes what you’ll be serving your family and guests for dinner. This week my fellow Festive Foodie bloggers and I are sharing #HolidaySideDishes so you can get that menu planned. Below the recipe for this delicious casserole, you will find today’s links for the recipes. Come back Wednesday and Friday for more!
I’ve got an easy slow cooker side dish that will be a crowd-pleaser and become a family favorite in no time. This recipe for Cheesy Green Bean Casserole is not only super easy to prep and cook, it doesn’t take up valuable oven space.
Because you’re using the slow cooker to make this casserole in, you will free up a little oven space to get those rolls in, or this sweet potato casserole. Or, perhaps you’ll want to make these Cheesy Smashed Roasted Brussels Sprouts for your dinner.
The first time I had green bean casserole I was totally in love with the dish. It was very popular at potlucks and dinners that we went to at the time. Over the years, I strayed away from making it as we sort of had our fill I guess. Last month, I wanted to make it in the crock pot and thought why not add cheese! Brilliant!
Tips to make Slow Cooker Cheesy Green Bean Casserole:
I like to use frozen (or fresh) green beans for this casserole. I don’t have anything against the canned beans, just a personal preference. If using frozen, don’t bother thawing them out.
Mostly I use cream of mushroom soup for this recipe, but cream of chicken or cream of celery works too. Use whatever cheese you prefer. Want more cheese? Add it.
Because I use frozen green beans, the beans do stay a bit crisp (our preference), but if you prefer them a little more done, let the casserole cook a bit longer before adding the French fried onions.Change up that traditional green bean casserole with cheese!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- 2 cans (10.5 oz each) Cream of Mushroom Soup (do not dilute with water)
- 1/2 cup milk
- pepper, to taste
- 3 bags (12 oz each) frozen cut green beans (do not thaw)
- 1 6 oz container of French fried onions, divided
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- In slow cooker, combine the soup, milk and pepper (to taste) - Stir until well blended.
- Mix in the frozen green beans, about half of the container of fried onions, and half of the cheese.
- Top the mixture with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for about 2.5 hours.
- For the fried onions, I choose to toasted the onions in a small skillet (no oil or spray) until golden brown. Alternatively, you can top the casserole without toasting or browning them. If your slow cooker can go into the oven, you could also top the casserole with onions and place it in the broiler for a few minutes before serving.
Holiday Side Dish Recipes for Monday:
- Apple Butter from Simply Inspired Meals
- Creamed Spinach from Palatable Pastime
- Honey-Whiskey Glazed Sweet Potatoes from Kate’s Recipe Box
- Mac and Cheese Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Biscuits from Our Good Life
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples from Sweet Beginnings
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Green Bean Casserole from Blogghetti
- Smoked Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese from The Spiffy Cookie
- Sweet and Spicy Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweet Potato Souffle from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Yellow Squash and Zucchini Casserole from Cheese Curd in Paradise
See you Wednesday for more side dish recipes!
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!