|Ever see a picture of a food that you haven’t had in years and just drool over it? Well, it happened when I saw Shugary Sweets‘ recent blog post on Strawberry Poke Cake! It was at that moment that I realized I hadn’t made this simple and delicious cake in years – probably not since my girls were toddlers. Such a shame too because it’s a perfect Summertime dessert; it’s light, colorful, and just eating a slice of it can “cool” you down. OK, it’s really not just a Summertime dessert, it can be made anytime but it does refresh you when bite into it and tastes the flavors.|
I recall making this poke cake with a variety of Jell-O flavors and using either Cool Whip or a vanilla frosting, if you want a sweeter treat. The Cool Whip, in my opinion, is the perfect amount of extra sweetness for this cake. If you want to cut calories, use eggs whites instead of whole eggs, applesauce in place of the oil, sugar free Jell-O, and light Cool Whip. It tastes just as good! Make this cake – today! However, you may want to make two because the one I made went fast!
- 1 box 18.25 oz White Cake Mix, prepared with ingredients. (I used the Funfetti cake mix this time)
- 1 box 3oz JELL-O Strawberry gelatin mix (or any flavor you choose)
- 1 cup water boiling
- 8 oz Cool Whip thawed
Toppings: Pick your favorite and top the cake with it: Fresh sliced fruit, sprinkles, nuts, graham cracker crumbs
- Bake cake in a 13" x 9" baking pan , as directed on box.
- Cool completely.
- Poke holes over cooled cake using a fork or a skewer.
- In a small bowl, mix gelatin with boiling water.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour gelatin over cake slowly, allowing it to fill the holes in the cake.
- Frost with Cool Whip and add your desired topping.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight.
Recipe from Shugary Sweets
Leave a Reply