This month was my husband’s birthday and when I asked him what kind of cake he would like, he replied with a white cake with white frosting. Mentally, I said “Oh how boring.” When I went to make his cake I realized I wouldn’t have enough of the key ingredient – flour. I didn’t have time to run to the store with everything else on the schedule that day so I improvised and used a boxed white cake mix and jazzed that baby up. One bite and you could not tell it was from a box, seriously. He loved it!
Using milk instead of water as called for on the box, adds some density, extra fat (trust me on this), and extra flavor. I used only egg whites as this will make your cake fluffier and whiter. Substitute the oil in the boxed cake recipe for melted butter. This will add so much more flavor than oil will. Adding a bit of vanilla extract will also bump the flavor up. The boxed mix does lose some of it’s freshness sitting on that shelf so adding more flavor, such as the vanilla, brings out the fresh, homemade taste.
- 1 boxed white cake I used Duncan Hines brand
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter cooled slightly
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp CLEAR vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease sides and bottom of each pan with nonstick spray. Flour baking pan lightly. (If making cupckakes, use baking cups in place of the grease and flour)
- Blend cake mix, milk, melted butter, egg whites, and vanilla in a large bowl at low speed until moistened for about 30 seconds.
- Beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Pour batter in pans and bake according to box directions for your type of baking pan. I tend to check my cakes at the lower end of the time indicated as my oven cooks a bit faster than some others I have had.
- Cake will be done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing. Cool completely before frosting.
- Great with this Cream Cheese Frosting
“Blogghetti” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.