Grill fresh summer tomatoes that are drizzled with a garlic and herb infused olive oil to bring out the robust flavors of the tomatoes.
Tomatoes are in abundance right now and I went a bit overboard and bought too many at the produce stand. We used them on sandwiches, burgers, BLTs, and in salads but I still have some left. Just so happened that I was planning to grill a steak and some baked potatoes, so I thought why not add some of the tomatoes too! Best idea ever!
The garlic and herb infused olive oil on the tomatoes is so flavorful and grilling the tomatoes brings out all of the flavors in them while holding their shape. I cannot tell you how totally delicious these were, you must try them yourself!
Slice the tomatoes lengthwise in half, season with salt and pepper.
After spooning the garlic and herb infused olive oil over the cut-side of the tomatoes, place them cut-side down on the grill. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes each, then serve.
Bonus – grill up a larger batch of the tomatoes and then use them in sauces and soups. So good!
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil (chopped small)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano (chopped small)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut your tomatoes in half crosswise, place on a plate, and season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium-low heat, then add the minced garlic and olive oil. Let garlic cook in the olive oil for about 2 minutes, watching so it doesn’t burn. Add the herbs (basil and oregano) and let cook for another 1-2 minutes, again watching so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Turn off heat and let oil cool a minute. Then, spoon or brush over the cut-side of the tomatoes.
- You can grill the tomatoes right on the grill but be sure to oil the grates first. I prefer to lay a sheet of aluminum foil over the grill grate, then placing the tomatoes cut-side down to grill for about 3 minutes.
- Turn them over gently with tongs and continue to cook for another 3 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender.
- Remove from grill and let cool for a couple of minutes, serve warm or room temperature.
- Alternatively, you can grill a double batch (or more) and adjust the olive oil mixture accordingly and use the tomatoes in sauces.
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!