A homemade yellow cake baked over a delicious thick topping of blueberries makes this Blueberry Upside Down Cake a family favorite.
I’ve had this recipe for Blueberry Upside Down Cake in my mind for quite awhile now, but just haven’t made it. So, when I was thinking of what to make for #BerryWeek, I knew this would be included. It’s an easy recipe to make and the results are a delicious sweet fruity cake. I love it because the blueberries with the caramelize and keep the cake moist and delicious, and blueberries are just so GOOD.
#BerryWeek is off with a great big bang and if you haven’t checked any of the recipes out, get to it! There are some mouthwatering dishes being shared. Monday I shared this Easy Strawberry Mousse Dessert and today this homemade yellow cake with blueberries.
How to Make Blueberry Upside Down Cake:
While this recipe has a few extra steps, than other cake recipes it is well worth the little bit of extra time to prepare the cake. The instructions are not hard, just a bit more of them.
If you have a cast iron skillet, this is a great recipe bake the upside down cake in. I don’t have one so I simply used a 9 inch cake pan. Be sure to spray the cake pan (or cast iron skillet) with nonstick spray. I like to make the batter for the cake before I make the caramelized blueberry topping.
You want to separate your egg whites from the yolks for this recipe. You will then beat the whites till they form stiff peaks using a stand mixer or a hand held electric mixer. Place the whipped whites in a separate bowl.
In the bowl you just used, mix the rest of the cake batter ingredients together and then gently fold in (by hand) the whipped egg whites. Set aside for a moment.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar; cook until the sugar has dissolved fully. Then pour the caramelized sugar in your cake pan. Top with the blueberries.
Spread the cake batter evenly over the blueberries and bake!
Once the cake is done, let it cool IN the pan for about 15 minutes. After that, invert the pan onto a serving plate and let cool once again for another 5-10 minutes before removing the pan. This will allow the blueberries to soak into the cake a bit more.
Blueberry Upside Down Cake
- 2 eggs separate the whites from the yolks (you will be using both the whites and yolks)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch cake pan with non stick spray
- Separate the egg whites and yolks. Using a stand mixer or a hand held electric mixer, beat the egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. Pour the egg whites out into another bowm and set aside.
- Cream the 1/2 cup butter with the sugar until blended. Add the egg yolks and the vanilla; beat well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour alternately to the batter with the 1/2 cup of milk to the butter mixture. Then, by hand, fold in the egg whites into the batter. Set aside.
- To make the blueberry topping: In a small saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons butter with the brown sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour into prepared cake pan. Top with the blueberries.
- Spread the cake batter on top of the blueberries evenly. The batter will be very thick, this is normal. Bake for 55-60 minutes until done. Toothpick check comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert the cake upside down onto a serving platter, but leave the cake pan on top of the cake for another 5-10 minutes to let the blueberries soak into the cake a bit. I like to tap the top of the cake pan a bit to help all of the topping release easier.
Thursday Berry Week Recipes
- Blackberry Bourbon Smash by The Spiffy Cookie
- Blueberry Upside Down Cake by Blogghetti
- Raspberry Coconut Mojitos by The Baking Fairy
- Strawberry Crumb Bars by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Strawberry Rhubarb BBQ Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Summer Berry Fluff by Daily Dish Recipes
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!