Broccoli and Swiss Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts are a healthy and delicious way to serve chicken. The dish will quickly become a family favorite.
You know the drill….you look in your pantry, refrigerator, and freezer to try to come up with something for dinner when you know you should be at the grocery story buying groceries. I desperately need to take a trip to the grocery store but a couple of things prevent me from doing so. Life! Super busy days and then when I think about dinner or grocery shopping, all I want to do is grab a book and read.
My pantry usually isn’t as full right now as the picture above, and my family lets me know about it. However, dinner needs to happen so I found a pack of chicken breasts, frozen broccoli. fresh green onion and some Laughing Cow Swiss cheese wedges. I also had some containers of minestrone soup in the freezer which I heated up to go with this dinner.
Unexpected Company – No Worries
One of the things about this impromptu recipe is that you can make it for one, four, or as many as you need to. Another great point is that it’s easy to make and you know that’s a requirement for me.
Tips to Make This Recipe:
You can buy chicken cutlets, which are already thin and ready for you to stuff and roll, but they are more expensive. I prefer to buy boneless chicken breasts, butterfly them (slice each almost all the way through lengthwise), and then pound them to about 1/4 inch thickness.
Be gentle when pounding the chicken breasts, too hard and the meat will tear.
When you are rolling the chicken breasts up, secure them with a few toothpicks. This will help keep the rolls intact. The Laughing Cow cheese will not ooze out, as it doesn’t melt like regular cheese. Instead it just gets all kinds of ooey creamy goodness.
If you do not have an oven-safe skillet, simply transfer the browned chicken rolls to an oven-safe baking dish that has been greased.
Before serving, be sure to remove the toothpicks.
Broccoli and Swiss Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 wedges Laughing Cow Swiss cheese
- steamed broccoli chopped (I used a 12oz frozen bag, with some leftover)
- green onion chopped (as much or little as you want for each)
- garlic powder
- pepper and salt to taste
- 2 - 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Between 2 pieces of plastic wrap, pound chicken breasts out to about 1/4 inch thick using a meat mallet or rolling pin.Be gentle, the meat will tear easily.
- For each piece of chicken: Sprinkle with garlic powder, pepper and salt (if using).
- Place some green onion, broccoli slightly off center on the chicken breast.
- Break up the one wedge of Lauging Cow Swiss Cheese per chicken breast into small pieces and place over broccoli.
- Roll up chicken breasts. tucking ends in and securing with toothpicks.
- Heat a oven proof skillet with the oil in it. Brown all sides of the chicken roll. You don't have to worry about the cheese oozing out of the chicken. The cheese doesn't melt, instead it just gets all kinds of creamy good.
- Place skillet in oven and cook till chicken is done, about 30 - 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for about 5 minutes, be sure to remove toothpicks before serving.
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGHETTI NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY WEEK!