This Easy Homemade Cajun Seasoning mix is a blend of herbs and spices that are sure to kick up any dish to a zesty delicious notch.
I have been starting to make my own spice blends for a couple of reasons. The store bought blends often contain ingredients I don’t want, like sugar, too much salt, and preservatives. The homemade seasonings only take minutes to put together. This Cajun seasoning is definitely better than anything you’d find at the store, and is so easy to make.
I can also control the heat level in the mixes. This is true for this Cajun Seasoning Mix. I have one family member who likes their dishes super extra spicy.
What’s the solution?
I make two batches of this easy homemade Cajun seasoning recipe. One will be as directed in the recipe while the other will have a very kicked up version with more cayenne pepper.
This Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Vegetable Skillet is one recipe I use this cajun seasoning in and while it’s a one pan meal, I will go the extra step and take a portion of it out and seasoning with the extra spicy seasoning.
Other Easy Homemade Seasoning Mixes
I will be adding to these homemade mixes soon.
What is Cajun Seasoning Made of?
The basic components of Cajun seasoning include garlic, onion, salt, pepper, herbs and spices. Everyone seems to have their own version of the mix. In my version, I also use a smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, and thyme. Adjust the salt to your own tastes, or leave it out, if you prefer. Like I mentioned, I up the cayenne for a separate batch. You can also decrease the amount of cayenne, too.
Making the Seasoning
Grab your measuring spoons and a jar with a lid. Measure out all of the ingredients and place in jar. Close jar with lid and give it a good shake. Alternatively, you can mix everything in a small bowl and then pour into a jar with a lid.
It’s that easy to make this homemade Cajun seasoning recipe.
Pro Tip: Double, even triple this recipe to have the herb and spice mixture on hand anytime.
What to use Cajun Seasoning in
You don’t have to just use the seasoning mix in Cajun cooking. It’s great in so many dishes to give them a bit of a kick. I use it in making sheet pan dinners, soups, kabobs, and so much more.
Here’s a run down of other ideas to use Cajun spice:
- Proteins: chicken, fish, shellfish, pork, beef, and even tofu.
- Vegetables: great for nearly all veggies, especially good on potatoes.
- Dips: stir some into your chip and veggie dips.
- Marinades: when marinating meats, seafood, or vegetables add some of the seasoning to the marinade.
- Pasta: great in sauces like Alfredo.
Easy Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (black pepper works too)
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- Prepare the Cajun seasoning by combining all ingredients together in a bowl. Stir to combine and transfer to an airtight container.
Stay connected for the latest recipes
Connect with Blogghetti! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #Blogghetti on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!