This one pan Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is pure comfort food using simple ingredients. Weeknight dinner made easy!
Using what foods you have to make dinner can sometimes be a chore, especially in these challenging times when groceries are limited or shelves are bare. This is the perfect time to use up those opened bags of frozen vegetables, leftover chicken (or turkey), and a can of biscuits to make an easy chicken pot pie with biscuits.
Those ingredients are exactly what I found when I was cleaning out the freezer and refrigerator, plus a few pantry staples to complete the recipe.
The best part of this recipe, to me, is that it is a quick meal to put together and cook – all in ONE PAN. Clean-up is easy!
Tips to Make this Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Grab all the ingredients together, chop and dice your veggies and chicken (or turkey) so that you are ready to proceed easily.
I had just enough frozen mixed veggies in an open bag for this recipe plus a handful or two of frozen diced hash brown potatoes. Alternatively, you can use leftover vegetables and diced up a large potato or sweet potato, be sure precook them with the carrots, onions and celery.
If you don’t have the heavy cream, you can use half-n-half or milk.
Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or half-n-half, or milk)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken (bite sized) - shredded cooked chicken can be used, too
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetable
- 1 cup frozen diced has brown potatoes
- 1 pkg canned biscuits
- 1 egg, beaten
- chopped fresh parsley to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add celery, carrots onions, garlic, and thyme. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper and then add flour. Continuously whisk until flour is well incorporated. Slowly stir in the broth and heavy cream until mixture is smooth and starts to thicken.
- Add chicken and bring to a boil; simmer until thickened and chicken is heated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in frozen mixed vegetables and potatoes.
- Top mixture with biscuits in an even layer and brush tops with beaten egg.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tasty Tuesdays’ Link Party
Welcome to this week’s Tasty Tuesdays’ Link Party where we are dishing up the best recipes. Each week, food bloggers link up their very best and tasty recipes and we want you to join us! If you’re a food blogger, share your delicious recipes on the link party. Not a blogger? No worries, this party is for you, too. Why? Because, here you can find tasty dishes to add to your menus.
Let’s get the party started!
PLEASE LINK UP TO THREE FOOD POSTS TO THE TASTY TUESDAYS’ LINKY PARTY!
- PLEASE follow the hosts of this party through one of their social media listed below. They will visit your post and pin it. Just pick one (or more) of the options below and please follow them.
- Please link up to three food-related posts that have never been linked up here before. Posts containing alcohol also will not be pinned.
- Place this button or a link to this post somewhere on your site–either on the actual post or on your sidebar or on your party page.
- As a thank-you for linking up, we will pin your recipe to the Tasty Tuesdays at Creative K Kids Pinterest board. Please follow the board to see all the great food recipes!
- Creative K Kids is not responsible for stolen images or the mis-use by others who have found your image through CreativeKKids.com.
- By linking up, you agree to let any of the hosts or co-hosts use your pictures and links if they decide to feature your post. Your photo may also be used for promotion on any of their social media outlets.
- If you would like to receive an email reminding you to link up to this party, please click HERE and add your email address to the list! I will only send you an email about linking up to this party.