Super busy these days with my office/craft room makeover and classes so I love my crockpot even more. I’m hoping to get some pictures of the room makeover up soon but it’s slow going. My wonderful husband added a couple of shelves in the closet for me and I was trying to find inexpensive ways to buy containers or baskets to contain all of my crafting supplies. At the moment they are all just thrown into a couple of three drawer plastic chests plus boxes and bags all thrown into a hall closet with no light! I was in the dollar store and found some great sturdy plastic containers that I am sprucing up with some paint. Once I get into my craft-mode I don’t come up for air much and the time flies by. Before I know it someone is always asking “what’s for dinner” and I give them the look that says “what are you making”.
This particular day I also was cleaning out the refrigerator and came across a bottle of Italian salad dressing that needed to be used up. I remembered that I saw a recipe from The Magical Slow-Cooker’s cookbook that had fresh green beans, red potatoes, and chicken. I knew she used a different dressing to cook it in and while it is delicious, I had to use up this Italian salad dressing. I adapted her recipe for my dinner that night and wow, was it good! A whole meal slow cooked all day while I got to craft! Can’t beat that!
Please note that when cooking chicken in the crockpot, it does come out looking rather plain but it is seasoned well and tastes great; the potatoes were fork-tender. Also, sometimes the green beans can turn out overcooked but mine still had a bit of a bite to them after 5 hours with my 6 quart crockpot.
All this freshness is so good and the recipe is super simple!
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups diced red potatoes
- 2 cups fresh green beans, (larger beans trimmed and cut in half)
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 8 oz. Italian salad dressing (I use Olive Garden's Light salad dressing)
- ground pepper, to taste
- Spray crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Place chicken breasts in the middle in a single layer in the crockpot.
- Place diced red potatoes on one side of the chicken and the green beans on the other side.
- Top with minced garlic and chopped onion.
- Pour the Italian salad dressing over top of all the chicken and vegetables.
- Add pepper, to taste.
- Cook on low for 4 - 6 hours till chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.
- If desired, you can shred the chicken. I like to leave it whole but it is very tender and most likely will fall apart while taking out of crockpot.
- Adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker